As a person who suffers from Laziness Maximus (that's a real thing, right?!), I've had to learn a few work-arounds to get myself to either start working on a project or to finally get it finished. It can be really difficult to find motivation when you've already got a bunch of things you're working on, or if all you want to do is relax and watch some tv. Alas, things have to get done! Here are my top tips to getting yourself pumped up and ready to tackle your tasks.
1. Start small- If you're having trouble getting started on a project, think about one step you can do right away. For example, if you need to clean the kitchen but really don't want to, start by just tossing out the mail on the counter. Just this one small step may end up getting you in the mood to clean.
2. Get moving/play some inspiring music- Sometimes playing your favorite song and singing along can get you in a better mindset to get things done. You're much more likely to do something on your to-do list if you feel happy than if you're grumpy.
3. Write it down- For me, seeing tasks on a list and physically crossing them off when they're done feels really good! Try using a colored marker or a cute paper for the list. This (might) make it feel like less of a chore.
4. ...But don't write too many things down- I used to write really long To-Do lists because I was afraid of forgetting something. Now, I have 2 lists- the "do it now" list and the "do it later" list. This helps keep me focused and prevents me from getting overwhelmed.
5. Take a short break- this is a little bit counter-intuitive, but sometimes you just need a quick break before starting something big. Take a quick walk around the block, grab a coffee, or do some yoga to feel refreshed. Just make sure you don't end up getting even more distracted than you were before!
6. Read something inspiring- There are plenty of times that I look around my house and see clutter and think "ugh, I don't want to even think about cleaning this!" However, if I go on Pinterest and look at my organization board, I find that I start to get really excited about the idea of organizing things. Sometimes a jump-start of fresh ideas can help get those creative juices flowing.
7. Have a snack- I'm not sure about you guys, but I know that when I don't eat, I get really sluggish... and hangry! Sometimes, you lack the drive because your body lacks the fuel. Grab a quick and healthy snack, like a peanut butter and banana sandwich, a power bar, or a smoothie, and then get back to work!
8. Use your imagination- Take a second and imagine yourself having completed this project. How does it feel? Sometimes when I think about how good it'll feel when the task at hand is finally over with, I can get the quick jolt of energy to just get it done. I keep thinking of the relief I'll feel when I finally get to cross it off my to-do list!
9. Think and reflect- If there's a project I really can't get myself to do, I take a minute to think about why. Am I unsure where to start? Am I stressed out about the steps involved? Am I scared? Sometimes figuring out why you haven't done something is the best way to start.
10. Cut yourself some slack- Sometimes today is just not the day. If you find yourself struggling to begin something, it might be best to put it away for now and get something else done. Perhaps when you complete another task, you'll get the motivation to complete this task!
Looking for some more inspiration? Check out my Quotes board on Pinterest!
What do you do to get motivated? I'd love to know!