Ok guys.... if you don't have a costume yet, you better get cracking! Lucky for you, I have some really easy last minute costumes coming your way. And, they feature something we all have in our closets- a T-shirt!! Let's start off with that spare baby blue tee way in the back of your drawers.
First, a backstory. When I was a kid, I had this blue cloud dress (with a matching sheer shrug thing like all the dresses had) and I loved it. Well, imagine my delight when I found a matching pair of sandals with a cloud print on them too! You can bet that I wore those two together, because clearly it matched so well. In case you're new around here, I clearly love a theme... Anyway, this cloud costume is just a touch classier than that, topped off with a ridiculously bright and bouncy sun balloon.
You will need:
White fabric paint (here)
Earring hooks (or an old pair of dangly earrings)
Thin cardstock (like a manilla folder or notebook cover)
Yellow glitter cardstock
- Place a piece of cardboard inside the shirt to prevent the paint from leaking through. Try to find a smooth piece, otherwise you'll end up with some weird textured stripes like mine had.
- Paint clouds onto your shirt using a dotter or a cotton ball. I found that the cotton ball made it more "pillowy". I used a dotter for the pocket cloud and a cotton ball for pretty much all the rest.
- Let dry, according to directions, then set the paint if the instructions calls for it. Mine advised ironing your shirt, but yours may be different.
- Draw or punch a heart shape onto your cardstock or thin cardboard. You can probably use any shape, but that was the punch I had handy. A simple circle would probably work too.
- Using your pushpin, make a tiny hole at the tip of your heart shape. (Love these Barbie shoe pushpins? Get the DIY here)
- Attach your earring hook onto the cardstock. If you're using an old pair or earrings, remove the hook and the first jump ring. Slide it through the hole, then be sure to clamp it closed so it's securely fastened.
- Break up your cotton ball into tiny pieces. Try to keep them round and billowy.
- Glue your mini cotton balls onto both sides of the cloud. The cotton balls are super light, so don't worry- they won't be too heavy!
*note: make this headband just before you're going to wear it. Mine started deflating within a day. You can always open it up and re-inflate it though!
- Blow up your mini balloon so that it's not overinflated. You want it to be nice and round.
- Cut triangles of various sizes out of your cardstock. I made a template with a large triangle and cut out 3 of those. Then, I made 2 smaller sizes by moving the template slightly off the page to make the triangles smaller.
- Glue your cardstock to your balloon. You'll want to place the glue on the cardstock, not the balloon itself. We don't want it to pop!
- Put some glue on the part where you blew it up, and fold the knot inside to keep it as flat as possible.
- Place some glue on your headband and attach the sun. Hold it in place until it cools.
Then, all you have to do is put on all these pieces with a pair of white or light blue jeans, and your costume is complete! I also think a pair of bright & sunny yellow shoes would be the perfect additional, along with this rainbow tassel necklace. Lastly, pop on a pair of sunglasses and you're all ready to go!
White Fabric Paint: $8
Cotton Balls: $2
Yellow Glitter Paper: $2
Total cost: $30
And that's all folks! An easy DIY costume that you can whip up in time for Halloween :)