Let's be honest- organizing can be expensive! All those pretty organizers can add up, especially when you've got a lot of ground to cover. Fortunately, there are a lot of affordable solutions to help get your home organized without having to dip into your kids' tuition money. Best of all- it's simple!
*Contains affiliate links
1. Check out the thrift store. I've stumbled across some awesome storage solutions at the thrift store. I bought this drawer organizer from the Thrift store for just a few dollars. Keep an open mind, and try to think of alternative uses for items.
2. Go dumpster diving. Sometimes I go to throw something away, but I almost feel guilty to do so. I have a clear zippered pouch from a sheet set I use for holding fabric that I rescued from the landfills. I also collect small boxes from shipments that I use to organize my drawers, as well as shoe boxes. You can turn a pasta jar into crafts storage and a cereal box into a magazine holder. The possibilities are endless!
3. Check out the sales. When you're at a store and see a great sale, this is the perfect time to grab a few containers for a rainy day. This can save you money, but it can also give you a head start when you randomly decide to start organizing one day and need a place to put things.
4. Visit the dollar store. The dollar store has lots of great stuff you can use for organizing. Very often, they'll have similar items to what you can find at another store but at a cheaper price. Don't worry if things are in a kooky color- you can spray paint anything these days! Check out this tutorial for some advice. And, check out this post for 100 dollar store organization finds!
5. Check Pinterest- but be specific. A simple search can have all the answers you need, if you know what to look for. Be specific- "how to organize fabric" will lead you to exactly what you need, whereas "Craft Storage" may lead to falling down the rabbit hole and spending the next 3 hours on Pinterest. Whether it be a DIY project or a link to an affordable product on Amazon, Pinterest almost always has the answer.
6. Use what you have. The easiest way to save money is to not spend any at all. Take a look around the house. There's a good chance you're using two containers where you could be using one. It's not organization if you're hoarding clutter, so always go through your things once a year to make sure you're not holding onto (and storing) junk.
Want more great tips? Be sure to follow my organization board on Pinterest!
What are your favorite ways to save money on organizing your home or office?