One of my very favorite things to do is to dress up my pet. Something about seeing my adorable furbaby all dolled up in something equally adorable is enough to make me squee with delight. The problem is that I have cats, and they usually are not a fan of dressing up. It usually results in faces like this. However, these pom pom collars are so cute, even cats can't help but love them! They're easy to make and fun to wear, so grab your pom-pom maker and your yarn. We're about to get crafty!
You will need:
Yarn in rainbow colors (here)
Pom Pom makers (here)
A cutie-pie pet
Using your Pom Pom maker, create 3 Pom poms in your choice of colors. I used the two smallest ones, because my cats are pretty small. Depending on the size of your pet and the width of the collar, you may need larger Pom poms or more of them. Make sure you leave a string long enough to tie them onto the collar.
Pom Pom Instructions:
1. Take your Pom Pom maker and open one of the sides. It doesn't matter which one.
2. Starting in the center, wrap your yarn around the curve, making sure to keep it even. Keep going until it's nice and full. The more yarn you put, the fluffier the Pom Pom. If you cheap out, you'll know!
While you're wrapping around, make sure it only goes on the loop, not the bottom "feet". You don't want it to have weird loose ends. See the photo below for what NOT to do :p
3. Once it's nice and full, cut your yarn when at the top of the loop and fold the side in. Repeat for the other side.
4. When both sides of your pom pom maker are filled, you want to cut each side in half. Don't fret- it's got a special groove for this to make sure you do it evenly! Cut through all the layers right at the center.
5. After you've cut your pom pom in half, you'll notice a groove down the center of the pom pom maker. Take a small piece of yarn and guide it through the middle of the pom pom maker. I used purple so you can see it better, but for my other pom poms I wanted the yarn to match the pom pom. Pull it tight so that it goes through the center- this is what holds your pom pom together! Tie a knot, then wrap it back through to the other side and tie another knot or two.
Open the two loop arms (the blue part), then pull the two sides apart at the center (the white part) to release your pom pom.
6. Trim the ends so that everything is even and your Pom Pom is nice and round and fluffy.
7. Tie the Pom poms onto the collar. You can also glue them, but if your pet is rambunctious they might be able to pry it off more easily.
Put it on your pet and enjoy! Take loads of photos. Be sure to only put this on your pet when you're there to supervise, since they may be able to take it apart like they're diffusing a bomb. You know how pets can be sometimes!
Annie (the black cat) surprisingly didn't mind wearing this collar. She's usually the feisty one!I think this photo is my favorite, because LOOK AT THAT SNAGGLETOOTH!
Roger, on the other hand, who is the most chill cat ever, somehow wasn't a fan of being dressed up that day. He doesn't hesitate to let you know that too. Here's his best "I'll pose for you human, but only because you feed me" face.
How cute do these little kittens look in their fancy new collars?! Ok, I know they're not kittens... but they're so darn adorable! What do you think about these collars? Will you be trying them on your cat, dog, guinea pig? Let me know in the comments below!